Go for a paddle through the area’s most scenic swamp with our experienced guide. Visit Whitney Plantation, a historic sugar cane farm and slave memorial. Enjoy a fresh caught Cajun seafood…
- Duration: 2 hours
- Capacity: Minimum of 2 guests | Maximum of 6 guests
- Included: Boat tour of the Maurepas Swamp with an expert captain
- Transportation: Transport available from New Orleans for $25 per person round trip. Select the add-on when booking online and you have two location choices for your pickup (one at the bottom of the French Quarter and one at the top). Specific hotel pick-ups can also be accommodated in Orleans Parish, simply select the transportation option during booking and choose “Other” to type in your desired location. Note that you should be at your pickup spot 1 hour and 30 minutes prior to your tour time.
- Where to meet and how to get there: Our private launch site is on the Petite Amite River, just outside the Maurepas Swamp Wildlife Management Area. The address is 13099 Petite Dr., Maurepas, LA 70449. Note that you should arrive 15 minutes before your tour time.
- Person (Min: 2, Max: 6)
- Private Tour (1-6 people)
About the Beyond the Bayou Swamp Tour
Explore the Maurepas Swamp on our customized boats. Our small group size of six ensures that you get a chance to ask our local naturalist captain all the questions you want. Our engine doesn’t scare wildlife away and allows us to get deeper into the swamp that you would with the large-boat operators. In fact, there are no other boat tours in the area where we go, which allows for a really special experience. Learn more and see more! The Maurepas Swamp is located halfway between New Orleans and Baton Rouge.
Why Choose our Swamp Ecotour?
We are one of the few swamp tours in Louisiana that doesn’t feed alligators. We are a true ecotour company, and we believe in respecting the environment and being aware of the threats that face this valuable wetland region.
Our customized flatboat and pontoon boat navigates through shallow waters, getting you deeper into the swamp than most tours can. See more quiet and isolated areas and spot more wildlife that hasn’t been scared off by other passing boats.
Our fuel-efficient motors are quiet, so we don’t scare off wildlife as the airboats do. Glide around wide river bends at 30 mph with the wind blowing through your hair, and look for gators and other creatures while you slowly creep through narrow passageways surrounded by cypress and willow trees draped with Spanish moss.
Our flat-bottom boat is equipped with comfortable captain chairs that swivel 360 degrees, which is a huge upgrade from the uncomfortable sideways metal benches that the big boat companies use. Our pontoon boat has fixed chairs and offers a higher vantage point and a very smooth ride. Our maximum group size of six ensures that you can properly relax, avoid the crowds, and ask all the questions you want. We provide an authentic, educational tour that leaves you with a deeper understanding of what makes the ecosystems here so unique.
The Maurepas Swamp is a biodiverse 110,000-acre federally protected wildlife management area. Keep your eyes peeled for gators, great blue herons, bald eagles, owls, deer, wild pigs, and turtles. Birdwatchers love this tour; there are tons of woodpeckers, fishing birds, and migratory songbirds that live out here.
Our tour takes you through hardwood forests and swamps with towering cypress trees and Spanish moss. Learn about the wildlife, and the local lifestyle and culture.